Misdiagnosis and Women's Health
IN THIS EPISODE:
- -Why is Sidelined different from other books on women and health?
- -When creating focus groups, why did you do that specifically and did you learn anything different from the groups in contrast to when you interviewed women individually?
- -I know the women in my life are much more concerned with health than the men. What do you mean when you say they have trouble getting the most effective healthcare?
- -How much of a role does stress play in women’s health? Why do you think that is?
- -You mention that men and women talk to doctors differently. What do you mean by that? And does their conversation style interfere with their diagnosis?
- -What’s the best way to find the most competent doctors? How should women do their due diligence?
- -From your research do you find women get better care from a male or a female doctor?
- -How can women focus their visits so they can get more of what they need?
- -And so much more!
Our Guest Susan Salenger
SIDELINED: How Women Manage & Mismanage Their Health, researcher and author Susan Salenger examines the many ways in which women manage and sometimes mismanage their healthcare.
Salenger describes how women, typically the medical gatekeepers for their families, tend to be extremely conscientious about taking care of themselves. They choose their doctors carefully, visit them more frequently than men, and stay on top of all health information. Yet at the same time, women tend to inadvertently undermine their own care. They’re so focused on members of their families that they sometimes fail to take care of themselves. They may delay visiting the doctor or neglect to ask doctors the necessary questions about their own health. As a result, they may end up with inaccurate treatments and unnecessary procedures.
Susan also explores the cultural and medical history that has conditioned women not to act in their own best interest. She offers insights into the gender biases of the medical community, explores why women are misdiagnosed more often than men and why they are routinely omitted from clinical trials.
Designed to help women become more consciously aware, SIDELINED will provide readers with the knowledge, language, and skillsets needed to ensure that women are comfortable advocating for themselves when it comes to their own personal healthcare.
Reach Susan Salenger
Support the Podcast
JOIN THE PATREON:
Ask Kat about specific episodes and her opinions. Ad free episodes, bonus episodes, uncensored content and more. Get meal plans, health tips, Q and A, and direct access.
Balance Your Hormones:
Use code KAT15 for 15% off any single supplement. And list to our episode with Dr. Mona Fahoum to learn how it works.
GET YOUR FREE mineral deficiencies and heavy metal toxicities test with consultation. Dr. Cabral is providing the lab test and consultation to my listeners for free, you just pay shipping and handling. This is a $299 value. Head on over to StephenCabral.com/Kat to reserve your test today!
Would You Take 30 Seconds to Rate & Review the Kat Khatibi Podcast?
The best way to help me spread our mission is to give us a 5-star review, and I read and appreciate every review!
1. Click link: Kat Khatibi Podcast on Health, Happiness, & Beauty on Apple Podcasts
2. Click “View in iTunes” button
3. Click “Subscribe” button
4. Click “Ratings and Reviews” text
5. Click to rate and leave a short review and you’re done!
6. If you include your Instagram name, I will even share a screenshot of your 5-star review and tag you back!